Here's a pretty little snapshot of what the allotment looks like now (well, about a month ago!) You can see that the top section is now done, with raised beds and woodchip paths. I'm so excited to have got it to this stage as it was a bit painful at the time. My lack of patience does not help when it comes to creating level ground.
I started off by digging, which I absolutely love. It's so nice to spend a couple of hours after work digging whilst listening to an audiobook or music and watching the day turn to dusk. My back appreciates it less so however.
Next came my loathed task - levelling. I actually got the hang of it towards the end and taking it in small sections meant it wasn't quite so daunting. I tried once hastily and lay the beds out, then decided to redo it a week later. I'm pleased I did as it made a big difference to the look and feel (first attempt below).
I put down weed suppressant membrane, filled the beds and then covered the paths with mulch from the big communal pile on the plot. I'm not sure how well this is working for the smaller beds as they are quite shallow and things are struggling to grow, but is working really well for the weeds.
Here's the before and after - what a difference it makes! This stage being done lifted a lot of my worries and felt like a great accomplishment.
Welcome to Little Pearly's Kitchen, a small attempt at sharing my experiments in the kitchen (and now garden).
Click to set custom HTML