If you're in a more productive mood, why not have a go at making a delicious pot of chorizo jam and smothering it on some sourdough toast? I made this as a Christmas present a few weeks ago, but it was very important to make sure it was up to scratch!
Preparation 30 minutes, Cook 1 hour, Makes 2 jars
You will need:
- 500g cooking chorizo, diced
- 1 large white onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 85g light muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 shot espresso coffee or 100ml strong black coffee
1. Fry the chorizo for about 5 minutes on a med-high heat until crispy then transfer to one side, leaving the juices in the pan.
2. Turn the heat down to love and gently cook the onion in the oil for about 15-20 minutes.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook slowly for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally (don't worry if it doesn't look like chutney/jam at this point, it will once blended).
4. Leave to cool a little and then 'blitz' in a food processor for a couple of seconds. Transfer to jam jars when cool.
As BBC Good Food Magazine said, it really does go well with a runny egg. Alternatively, have with cheese and crackers or spoon into puff pastry tartlets and top with goats cheese for a light bite.