Yesterday we popped up the M5 to Newark Park, which is an old hunting lodge surrounded by miles of Cotswold countryside. We strolled around the 3.5 mile route, tupperwear in hand and enjoyed the late summer (or early autumn?) sunshine. Although a bit late in the year for filling boxes with blackberries, we managed to pick plenty to make these delicious friands!
Gluten free, makes 12-16
Preparation 15 minutes, Cooking 25 minutes
- 7 egg whites
- 150g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 50g plain flour, or gluten free plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g melted butter
- Blackberries (5-6 berries per cake)
2. Sift in the icing sugar and flour then add the ground almonds and melted butter. Mix gently until combined.
3. Distribute the mixture into muffin cases to about 2/3 full. Press in the blackberries gently.
4. Cook in an oven at 190 degrees centigrade for 20-25 minutes. Using the small cases they tend to brown quite quickly, but don't worry and continue to cook until cooked in the middle. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then on a rack.
5. Serve dusted with a hearty amount of icing sugar.